Monday, June 29, 2009

What comes down, must come down

I am not generally a big fan of camera phones. Whenever something amazing is going on, people are always ruining the moment by taking a picture. As if there aren't millions of pictures of whatever it is that are already online.

But this shabbos, on the one day that I didn't have my phone with me, I saw something that truly deserved to be captured by a camera phone. (Too bad it was shabbos...) I saw this pidgeon walking along the sidewalk, a brown pidgeon (as pidgeons are wont to be), but with a big white splotch on its head and some dribbles along its back. Apparently, it's not only cars that get subjected to bird poop, it's birds as well.

I had about zero sympathy for the pidgeon - I'm sure it got what it deserved.

8 comments:

  1. Cute observation. Wish I was there.

    Don't agree with you about pictures. When I take a picture it's to try and show other people or myself what "I" saw. Usually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And is a grainy picture on a 3 inch screen a better way to show the statue of liberty than a professional photograph from online?

    For my own sake, there are my memories. For other people, there are generally pictures online. For the unique or personal things that aren't online, by all means, click away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not trying to show the Statue of Liberty, I'm trying to show the Statue of Liberty that "I" saw. From that angle, and that light, and...

    A professional shot does not even come close.

    By your wedding, will you have pictures taken? Of the whole thing? Maybe just superimpose your face digitally on some stock imagery of wedding dances? Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it?

    That's what you're telling someone who is taking a picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To the extent that the picture is unique, I have no problem. If you actually particularly enjoyed the particular angle of view or thought it would be particularly good in a photo, then go ahead, take the picture. But all too often, people are too busy messing around with their cell phones to simply enjoy an experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But let's focus on the important question here: Did or didn't the pigeon deserve what it got? Does reward and punishment apply to pigeons?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry, every sight is unique. One but needs the right "eye" to see it.

    Here is a link to a photographer that takes pictures with his IPhone. http://www.chasejarvis.com/index.php#mi=2&pt=1&pi=10000&s=0&p=5&a=0&at=0 Do I think every shot is stunning? No. Overall, however, he proves what I'm saying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:52 PM EDT

    ועל זה נאמר סקוופ דה פוופ

    ReplyDelete
  8. Coincidentally, this morning, I got up to go to my early morning prayers, and across the street, in my residential single home neighborhood, were three does, full grown, walking along the lawns, stopping for an occasional munch on the landscaping. By the time I realized I would want evidence of this vision, they had moseyed onward. We had just gotten used to the proliferation of rabbits, and now we're moving up a notch.

    ReplyDelete